|Hitchhiking in Malaysia last year (hadn’t hitchhiked since I was about 16. Lots of fun!|
It has been almost a year now since I’ve officially transitioned into being a digital nomad, working and traveling on the way. I remember a year ago I had just left from three fantastic weeks on the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia and got sick arriving in Kuala Lumpur with a mean tonsillitis. I was at the end of my travel budget and seriously needed to figure out what was next, being ill I couldn’t do much so I took it as a good opportunity to mull things over.
I could see three main options:
- Come back to Europe and look for a new full time job (most likely as a planner in another agency)
- Stay in Asia and look for a full time in one of the main business city platforms (Singapore, Shanghai, Hong Kong). Similarly Australia was another option in the same style
- Go freelance full time, and while at it do it remotely and keep wandering.
- I spend a lot of time looking for work and keeping in contact with friends and professional acquaintances. ‘Out of sight, out of mind’ is pretty true so I make extra efforts to keep in touch (and I like keeping in touch anyways, I think it’s really important)
- I developed marketing, brand strategy and promotional tactics for a Kenya / US based Luxury African safari tour operator intending to develop a brand and service selling directly to people rather than competing on costs only with wholesale tour operators
- I worked on the launch strategy of a new Facebook social game of a small game development studio based in Hong Kong – really interesting stuff to get into
- I devised a brand and B2B strategy for a new mobile company in Nigeria who have secured one of the few mobile banking licenses recently granted by the government. Very interesting piece of work.
- I worked on two pitches (fairly large banking and energy clients) for an agency in Trinidad & Tobago. First pitch was won, still waiting on news for the second
- I developed marketing plans / strategies, brand or business advice for a bunch of startups, in the US, in Australia, in Europe, Singapore, and working on very different industries (film production, travel & tourism, education, etc).